Friday, November 21, 2008

To Mac Or Not To Mac

There is an urge for me to go and grab that beautifully done Macbook Pro 15" and switch to using it for all and whatever tasks I need to do. My aging Compaq 15" is really taking a beating from the crunches I put it thru. Even with that extra 1GB memory, its still pretty slow. Here's to what I would do with a new Mac if I were to get it:

1. Post processing photographs
2. Making DVD slideshows for clients during their wedding day
3. Plan to run Windows XP just for the sake of using CATIA V5R17 - so I can use it to do 3D models of engineering parts and systems.
4. Play some simple games such as DOTA.

The new 15" all aluminium Macbook Pro will cost about RM9,000/= and it sure is a bang. I already have a PC which runs on an Intel Quadcore but mobility is something I require thesedays especially when I am on the move so much.

So, what do ya'll think?
I've posted a simple poll on the sidebar for this purpose - help me decide.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jay, just get the Mac mate. I had the choice to make at the beginning of this year as well and I took the decision to switch over to a Mac. Well I haven't completely switched over as my desktop is still running Vista. But once you start using the Mac, you hardly want to go back.

Dota on a Mac? I should try it one day :P

Jay Han said...

It is definitely a very tempting option to be honest. The NVidia GeForce 9600 512MB is a killer. To be honest, I am wondering if the 13.3" Macbook is sufficient for my usage if I dont use it for 3D CAD modelling.

Anonymous said...

Once you touch the Macbook you might be more interested in the larger screen especially for editing. But then again, the new Macbooks do come with graphics processors which is a good thing as Photoshop CS4 can definitely benefit from that!

Something to help sweeten the Mac deal :P
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elbewerk/214973132/