Monday, October 8, 2007

Shok Chen & Chee Tian : A fun wedding under the sun

6th Oct 2007, Klang - I was being summoned by Simon Liu to cover a shoot of a couple who are getting married in Klang. Since I've never been to Klang before, he provided me transportation. So I dragged my sleepy butt off from bed around 5am to get myself ready for being a trigger happy photographer. By 6am, I was already at Tesco Puchong and hopped onto Lee's car (another shooter) and off we went to Klang.

I got off at the bride's place - Shok Chen, a lovely looking fine lady who was really fun to shoot. She was friendly and obviously happy on this big day of hers. So I setup my gears, selected my best lenses, poped my flashes and was ready to roll. I subsequently found out that Shok Chen and her husband have known each other and dated since their high school days. That's a very very long period of time. It goes to show what true love means, and their marriage seals it off and also marks a new chapter in their life I'm sure. Anyway, there I was, in her room shooting her getting ready to be the bride of the day (alongside her family friend Michael who was also shooting with a Nikon D200)

Soon, Chee Tian - the groom arrived with his buddies and was greeted by some red firecrackers which marks an auspicious begining. Shok Chen's sister (bridesmaid) and a bunch of the bride's "chee mui"s greeted them at the gate who were all ready to let the men have a run for their pants with some really nasty games. You see, these guys cant get pass and go on and see the bride unless they get past these games setup by the girls. Painful. I'm sure. The stuff which was laid for them were some really funky games which include constructing a love shape symbol with bodily hair (except the hair on their head)!! Ouch! I'll leave the imagination to you fellas out there. Anyway, its all good - the groom and his entourage were determined and got to the bride eventually. Some prayers were done after that, and the usual tea ceremony held.

They then proceeded to the groom's place which is a brand new house (lovely and homely place), had another session of tea ceremony there for the groom's family's side, and then lunchtime. A relatively fast event, but fun and happy for all. Lee and I headed over to Concorde Hotel, Shah Alam to get our stuff ready for the dinner banquet at night. There are video montage which needed to be ready for the new couple and thoughtful layout must be seen into it. So we got on to work.

The star of the show walked down the red carpet around 7.45pm. Photos snapped. Flash lights' blinding. Video cameras rolled. Deafening applauses. Both Shok Chen and Chee Tian looked glamourously gorgeous and good looking. It does make me wonder a while how it felt like to be in their shoes.

The whole dinner gala went smoothly, with loads of interesting slide shows being shown over the projector. Both couple's fathers gave their heartfelt speech, which I'm sure the two seniors are very very happy men on that meaningful day. Toasts were given out with loud "yuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmm seeeennnnnnnngggggg!!!!", and cakes were cut... and everyone are very happy, joyous and cheerful (and drunk too most of them :P).

The whole event wrapped up around 11.45pm and I was really tired. Hoisting the 3kg Canon EOS40D with battery packs for a whole day is really draggin' me down. Nevertheless - I was happy. Seeing how Shok Chen and Chee Tian appreciate the pictures I've presented to them; how those grateful and happy smiles were painted on their faces just pushed me that extra mile to shoot a lil bit more of their family group photos. It's all worthwhile. For me, people's smiles are worthy of this, and they are priceless.

And for this, I wish to congratulate the both of them, and also extend a goodwill wish of happy marriage too.

*Accompanying photos to be put up soon.

No comments: